Report an Absence
REPORTING AN ABSENCE / CORRECTING ATTENDANCE
- If something does not look right and needs correction or updating
- If your student did make an attempt to participate
- To report an absence
Call the attendance 24 hour line at 425-408-6710 or use the Online Absence Reporting Form to report an absence or request corrections.
|Due to Covid 19 our Standard Policies have been replaced by Interim Emergency Protocols|
Interim Policies and Procedures
NMS has an attendance policy designed to help students develop and practice responsible attendance habits and increase their potential for academic success. We appreciate our parents' understanding and support in notifying the Attendance Office when a student is absent. The following are steps that we will take to help students maximize their educational experiences:
- Attendance will be taken in the first ten minutes each period in each class.
- One (1) unexcused absence within a month results in a phone call to the parent or guardian.
- Three (3) unexcused absences within a month will result in a letter being sent home. This letter asks the parent to contact the school to set up a conference.
- Seven (7) unexcused absences within a month will result in the student being required to attend a Truancy Workshop.
- Excessive absences (excused and unexcused) will result in a letter of "concern" being sent home and may be referred to our Truancy Intervention Program Specialist.
- 20 consecutive absences (excused or unexcused) will result in the withdrawal of the student from NMS who subsequently cannot be counted as enrolled according to WAC.392.121.108.
What Should I do if I am Absent?
Have your parent or legal guardian call the 24-hour Attendance line at (425) 408-6710 or use the Online Absence Notification Form each day. Parents have 3 days to excuse an absence. After that time it will be changed to unexcused.
If you know your student is going to be absent for three or more consecutive days parents should submit the PRE-ARRANGED absence form on this page. Make-up work is communicated between the teachers, the student and parents.
What is an Excused Absence?
The Northshore School Board, in Policy No. 3122, directs the schools to accept the following as valid reasons to excuse a student from the state requirement to attend school daily.
- Circumstances due to Covid 19
- Illness or health condition, verified by parent
- Family emergency, verified by parent
- Religious observance, request by parent
- School-approved activity (like a field trip)
- Disciplinary suspension or expulsion
- Travel, with a school administrator's approval and prior parent notification to the Attendance office
School administration is authorized to determine whether an absence may be excused. They may decide this based solely on the criteria defined above.
The BECCA Law
Effective the 1995-96 school year, the BECCA Law revised the procedures for enforcing the State Compulsory Attendance Law. It requires the reporting of unexcused absences and the filing of petitions with the juvenile court to reduce truancy. The BECCA bill assists parents and the school in keeping students in school with the support of the juvenile court system, police and outside agencies.